The following lasagna is a variation of a turkey lasagna that Ina Garten features in Barefoot Contessa, Family Style.
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Yellow Onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds Ground Turkey
- 1 (14-ounce) can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Jar of Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Spaghetti Sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 pound Lasagna Noodles
- 15 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 4 ounces creamy Goat Cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
- 1 extra-large Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound fresh Mozzarella, shredded
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat the olive oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the turkey and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, butternut squash spaghetti sauce, the basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.
Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water. Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain. Or, get the “no pre-boil” noodles, which require no prep – just add them to the baking dish!
In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of basil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one 1/3 of the sauce. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.